- How Do I Make an Online Reservation?
- How do I change or cancel my reservation? My travel plans have changed, can I get a refund?
- Do I qualify for a discount?
- Do I need a reservation?
- What is Tofino Bus's policy on children travelling unaccompanied?
- Can pets travel on the Tofino Bus?
- Can I bring my bike?
- Can I bring my surfboard?
- Can I bring food and drink on the Tofino Bus?
- Do Tofino Bus's pick up and drop off times at Departure Bay Ferry Terminal connect with ferry crossings?
- I am arriving as a foot passenger at Departure Bay Ferry Terminal. Where do I meet the Tofino Bus?
- What happens If the ferry is delayed?
- Does Tofino Bus service Duke Point?
- How do I make a connection from…
- Can the Tofino Bus be flagged down along the road?
- Does Tofino Bus ever cancel trips due to weather conditions, road closures, breakdowns, or accidents?
- Can I use a Greyhound Ticket on the Tofino Bus?
How do I make an Online Reservation?
- Follow the “make a reservation” links from our www.tofinobus.com website.
- Select a Departure City, a Destination City and a Date. Press Submit.
- The system will take you to the “Payment page,” complete payment.
- After your credit card has been processed you will be on the “your itinerary page.” This is your itinerary and a copy will automatically be sent to your email address. At boarding you will only need your full name.
How do I change or cancel my reservation? My travel plans have changed, can I get a refund?
- Changing your reservation is free. To change your reservation phone our reservation phone line 1.866.986.3466. Changes must be made prior to the departure of your reserved ticket. Once your reservation has departed no changes or refunds are possible.
- Refunds are less 10% cancelation fee and must be completed before your reservation expires. Once your reservation has departed no changes or refunds are possible. Please let us know before your ticket expires.
Do I Qualify for a Discount?
- Students with a valid high school or post-secondary I.D. card with a valid expiry date are eligible for a 5-10% discount. The card must be presented to the driver or ticketing agent before purchase to be honoured.
- Hostelling International members with a valid membership card are eligible for a 5-10% discount. The card must be presented to the driver or ticketing agent before purchase to be honoured.
- Seniors 65+ are eligible for a 5-10% discount.
- Please note: If you are eligible for a discount, please mention this at time of ticket purchase. Refunds for the difference will not be given after initial ticket purchase.
- Discounts can not be combined.
Do I need a reservation?
- Reservations are always recommended to assure your seats.
What is Tofino Bus's Policy on Children Travelling Unaccompanied?
- Unaccompanied Minors ages 8 - 14 years of age are able to travel alone if the following rules are followed:
- Unaccompanied minors must have an Unaccompanied Child Form completed for them (available from Depot).
- The parent/guardian of the minor is present at time of boarding
- The child must be met at the destination station by the person specified on the Unaccompanied Child form.
- All unaccompanied children will be charged the student fare.
- The arrival bus depot must be open.
- Travel must be during daylight hours.
- See our policies section for more details.
Can Pets travel on the Tofino Bus?
- Pets are not allowed on board our buses or underneath in the luggage bays. The only exception: certified guide dogs.
Can I Bring My Bike?
- Bicycles must be reserved 1.866.986.3466. Tofino Bus can take two unpackaged bike per schedule, with a reservation, for a $15 charge. All unpackaged bikes must be reserved. If there is already a bike reserved on the date of travel, we can only accept bicycles that are in boxes. Boxed bikes can travel unreserved as a piece of checked luggage for a $15 charge. Bike boxes are usually available in the Port Alberni and Tofino depots. If you are traveling onto a Greyhound bus (Vancouver passengers) all bikes must be shipped as freight.
Can I Bring My Surfboard?
- Surfboards are welcome free of charge. Surfboards must be less than 8ft. in length and must be packaged properly. Tofino Bus Services Inc. is not liable for any damage that may occur while shipping or transporting your surfboard. If you are traveling onto a Greyhound bus (Vancouver passengers) all surfboards must be under 7 ft and will be subject to extra fees. Surfboards must be carried on BC Ferry. No bus on ferry. Vancouver to Nanaimo is walk on/walk off in both directions. BC Ferry luggage services available however surfboards not accepted and must be carried on.
Can I Eat Food or Drink on the Tofino Bus?
- Food and Drink is limited to bottles with a screw lid and dry snack foods. Thank you for your help in keeping our buses clean.
Do Tofino Bus's Pick Up and Drop Off Times at Departure Bay Ferry Terminal Connect with Ferry Crossings?
- The Tofino Bus picks up and drops off foot passengers at the Departure Bay ferry terminal in Nanaimo. Tofino Bus the Island Bus Co. also picks up and drops off passengers at the Horseshoe Bay BC Ferry Terminal in West Vancouver for connections to downtown Vancouver. At both Departure Bay BC Ferry Terminal and Horseshoe Bay BC Ferry Terminal Tofino Bus has reserved bus stall loading zones directly in front of the terminal.
I am arriving as a foot passenger at Departure Bay Ferry Terminal. Where Do I Meet the Bus?
- The Tofino Bus meets foot passengers in the foot passenger pick-up zone within Departure Bay ferry terminal. Look for the reserved bus parking marked Tofino Bus Island Express.
What Happens If the Ferry is Delayed?
- Tofino Bus Island Express will wait for late ferries up until 45 minutes after scheduled ferry arrival. E.G. If a ferry is due at 10:05 am, Tofino Bus will wait until 10:50 am for passengers arriving on delayed ferries. Please note that before picking up foot passengers, the Tofino Bus will be waiting for the arrival of passengers aboard the Vancouver Greyhound bus at the Nanaimo bus depot. Following this, the bus will depart the Nanaimo Bus Depot and pick up foot passengers at Departure Bay. Please be ready for expedient boarding. If you are on a late ferry, please call us and let us know.
Does Tofino Bus Service Duke Point?
- No, Tofino Bus does not service Duke Point. Transfers from Duke Point to Departure Bay Ferry Terminal or Nanaimo Bus Depot are offered by the Nanaimo Airporter (1-800-209-7792) or AC Taxi (1-800-753-1231).
How do I make a connection from…
Tofino Bus the Island Bus Co. now services (since 2015) the entire island including Port Hardy, Campbell River and Courtenay.
Tofino Bus the Island Bus Co. now services Cassidy Airport on a reservation required basis.
Transfers from the Comox Airport to the Courtenay Greyhound Depot are offered by Comox Taxi (1-866-339-7955). The Island Chauffer also provides Comox Airport service to other Tofino Bus pickup points on Vancouver Island such as Parksville (250-954-9694.).
Transfers from Victoria Airport to the Victoria Bus Depot are offered by YYJ Shuttle (Wilson's Transportation).
Vancouver Bus Depot
- Vancouver to Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino can be purchased online at tofinobus.com The Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay BC Ferry Terminal in West Vancouver operated by Greyhound. Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal to Departure Bay, BC Ferry Terminal provided by BC Ferries. BC Ferry luggage services available (surfboards not included in luggage services on ferry therefore must be carried on). Departure Bay Ferry Terminal, Nanaimo to Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino provided by Tofino Bus. All one ticket purchased online at tofinobus.com
From the Duncan Bus Depot, BC Transit offers connecting schedules to the Crofton Ferry Terminal
Can the Tofino Bus Island Express be Flagged Down Along the Road?
- Yes, Tofino Bus Island Express offers reservation required flag stops along our route at specific locations only. Visit our schedules page to view our Flag Stops. Flag stops are often side of the road locations therefore please have exact change and carry on bags only (as much as possible). Please contact the Tofino Bus office if you have any questions about designated flag stops or wish to inform us of your intent to board at a flag stop. Reservations required for flag stops.
Does Tofino Bus Ever Cancel Trips Due to Weather Conditions, Road Closures, Breakdowns, or Accidents?
- Poor weather that results in dangerous road conditions can impact on-time performance. Tofino Bus Services Inc. will not be held liable for missed connections or other interruptions due to poor weather conditions, road construction or any other delays. Visit drivebc.ca for road condition updates. Tofino Bus Services Inc. reserves the right to cancel planned trips in the event passenger and / or vehicle safety is compromised. Tofino Bus Services Inc. maintains and services its vehicles in accordance with manufacturer instructions, and checks are made in accordance with Motor Vehicle and Passenger Transportation Branch requirements. Despite this, mechanical breakdowns do occur from time to time. In this case, Tofino Bus Services Inc. will do everything in its power to provide alternative transportation, but will not be held liable for missed third party carrier connections. The limited alternate route opportunities on Vancouver Island can cause severe traffic congestion in the event of a road accident. In the event traffic is held up due to an accident, Tofino Bus Services Inc. will not be held liable for any missed connections that may result.